Q3 2021 - Wine Club Shipment
Welcome to your Q3 2021 Wine Club shipment!
The wines included in the club shipment were approved by the WineSavage Tasting Panel.
On behalf of the Wine Club, we have negotiated special pricing with the wineries that enables you to purchase these at ‘wine club prices’, without being beholden to a single winery’s club.
If you wish to reorder any of these wines, visit our online shop to order a-la-carte selections at discounted prices.
Kopriva Wine (Reorder)
Kopriva makes one wine, an Unoaked Chardonnay, and their goal is to be the premier unoaked Chardonnay of California.
They exclusively source their Chardonnay grapes from vineyards within the Carneros American Viticultural Area (AVA) of Sonoma County, and then produce an unoaked, stainless steel fermented, 100% Chardonnay without any secondary fermentation.
Their winemaking creates one of the most candid and revealing California Chardonnay’s available.
2018 Ricci Vineyard Unoaked Chardonnay
- 1,061 cases produced.
- 100% Chardonnay.
- Fermented in 100% Stainless steel tanks.
Noted for its cooler growing season of morning fog, afternoon wind and cold nights, the Carneros AVA allows our grapes to slowly develop mature flavors while maintaining high acidity. This enables us to produce a crisp and delicate white wine that exhibits the highest qualities the Chardonnay grape can express.
Lemon rind, lime and peach figure prominently on the palate of this steely, unoaked wine. Light, bright and unfussy, it has lifted acidity that keeps it laser focused and lean.
Winery Price: $19.00
Marimar Estate (Reorder)
- Winery located in Sebastopol, CA with tastings by appointment only.
- Produce ~15,000 cases per year across Albarino, Chardonnay and Pinot Noir.
2016 "Método Antiguo" Pinot Noir, Doña Margarita Vineyard
- 326 cases produced.
- 100% Pinot Noir from their estate vineyard.
- 12 months on 1/3 new French Oak.
Método Antiguo (Mae-toh-doh Ahn-tee-gouo) means 'old method' in Spanish and it refers to the old-style method used to produce this bottling of Pommard clone: whole-cluster fermentation takes place mostly within the berries and allows most of them to remain unbroken. It's important to ensure the stems are mature to contribute a silky mid-palate sensation.
This bottling displays complex aromas of black cherries and blueberries, orange peel, roasted chestnuts, and clove contributed by the stems. On the palate it is brambly, very varietal, savory, with plush tannins and a seamless finish that ensure a long aging potential. Its complexity and perfectly integrated oak and fruit augur a long life — at least another 10-15 years.
Winery Price: $64.00
Topel Winery (Reorder)
- Located in Hopland, CA with tastings/winery tours by appointment only.
- Produce approx 700-1,000 cases/year across Cabernet Sauvignon, Chardonnay, Syrah and Pinot Noir.
- Topel has crafted wines from their high-altitude vineyard for nearly thirty years. Their farming practices trend towards regenerative, as they only use organic fertilizers and pesticides, and never till their soils. The resulting mountain fruit produces a unique profile that is more reminiscent of old world wines.
2017 Estate Hillside Cuvée
- 224 cases produced.
- 78% Cabernet Sauvignon, 12% Merlot, 5% Malbec, 3% Syrah, 2% Petit Verdot.
- 24 months in 20% new French oak barrel.
With aromas of anise, blackberry, candied orange peel, and dark chocolate, this Bordeaux blend is deep, structured, and complex with flavors of black pepper, mulled spices, cassis, and black trumpet mushrooms. Although approachable in youth, this wine promises to age for a decade or two.
Winery Price: $30.00
Carr Winery (Reorder)
- Located in Santa Barbara, with two locations for tasting: The Barrel Room in downtown Santa Barbara and The Warehouse in Santa Ynez.
- Produce 4,500 cases per year, across an average of 10 SKUs.
2018 Santa Ynez Valley Cabernet Franc
- 646 cases produced.
- 100% Cabernet Franc.
- 20 months in 100% French oak, 20% new.
This Cabernet Franc fills the glass with beautiful deep shades of mahogany. Hints of licorice tease on the nose as more defined notes of white pepper fade in. This wine encompasses an overall sense of natural flavor components like roasted bell pepper with mellow notes of violet and herbs, finishing with a wonderful balance of good acidity and soft tannins.
Winery Price: $40.00
Spann Vineyards (Reorder)
- Based in Kenwood, CA, the tasting room is by appointment only.
- Produce 5,000 cases per year across 20 different wines.
2017 Classic Four
- A Bordeaux-style blend of 88% Cabernet Sauvignon, 5% Merlot, 4% Petit Verdot & 3% Malbec.
- 20 months in French oak barrels, 10% new.
Bursting with red and black cherry aromas and bright red cherry flavors, this medium-bodied Bordeaux-style blend is delightfully rich and silky-smooth. A light touch of oak adds complexity without hiding any of the effusive fruit. It’s a Cabernet Sauvignon-based blend that is eminently enjoyable either with or without food.
Our goal was to make a Bordeaux-style blend that is richly flavored, mouth-filling and smooth, with little to no disagreeable tannic feel. The high percentage of Cabernet Sauvignon gives this wine its richness, while the Merlot, Petit Verdot and Malbec spread the favors out in your mouth and hide the drying tannins of the Cabernet Sauvignon.
Winery Price: $36.00
Peter Paul Wines (Reorder)
- Small, family-owned winery. No tasting room. However, they do schedule winemaker virtual tastings PLUS in-person tastings at the discretion of their Master of Wine, Martin Reyes
- Produce 2,600-2,800 cases per year across Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon and a Red Blend.
- Peter Paul Wines remains one of the industry’s stealthiest wineries. Their Pinot Noir and Chardonnay fruit come from two historic & well-known vineyards in Sonoma, while their Napa wine program is crafted from handshakes & friendships with some of the most esteemed properties in the Valley.
2017 Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon
- 510 cases produced.
- 93% Cabernet Sauvignon 3% Petit Verdot, 2% Cabernet Franc, balance Merlot & Malbec.
- From Yountville, St. Helena and Rutherford vineyards.
- 100% French oak, 45% new.
Following HOT on the heels of one of the Best US Cabernets as mentioned by Wine & Spirits Magazine, the 2017 is no slouch! Simply put, it is brimming with confidence. Soaring aromatics are the first striking thing you’ll notice. Next, fine-tuned layers of red & black fruits, roasted herbs & spices, unsweetened cocoa develop in the glass with a particularly beautiful potency. With time in the glass, the touch of austerity yields to a delicious and cerebral complexity. Drink over 5-8 years – decant if opening before 2022.
Winery price: $45.00