Idell Family Vineyards
- Idell Family Vineyards (IFV) is located on Carriger Road, approximately 2.5 miles West of the town of Sonoma. Approximately seven acres of beautiful vineyards are surrounded by Sonoma hills and other vineyards.
- There is no public tasting room
- Produces 400-500 cases annually, including a Chardonnay, Syrah, and a Grenache/Syrah/Mourvedre blend.
- Idell Family Vineyards is a family owned grape growing and wine production business. The award winning wines have been recognized as exceptional by Robert Parker’s Wine Advocate, James Suckling and others.
2016 Oscar Mixed Blacks
- Produced 98 cases
- This is a FIELD blend, not a wine blended after production. The five varietals, according to what we planted in 2006, based on the number of vines, are: Zinfandel, approx. 56%, Petite Syrah, approx. 14%, Carignane, approx. 10%, Mourvedre approx. 10% and Grenache, approx. 10%. All are grown at random in the same vineyard. Because they grow together, are harvested together and are co-fermented, the exact %’s of grapes by weight of each varietal will vary from year to year.
- This is a dry-farmed vineyard. There is no irrigation in the vineyard and it relies only on rainfall.
- 18 months in barrel, 30% new American oak, 70% neutral.
2016 Idell Family Vineyards, “Oscar” Mixed Blacks is a field blend vineyard, Sonoma Valley 100% Estate grown grapes. This vineyard is dry farmed, head pruned and a traditional Sonoma field blend: Petite Sirah, Zinfandel, Carignan, Mourvedre and Grenache all farmed together, harvested together and fermented together. Very rich, complex, robust blend with hints of blackberry, raspberry and chocolate. Robert Parker’s The Wine Advocate describes the wine as “Very big, full-bodied, the chewy foundation supports generous black fruit preserves flavors with just enough kick to enliven the long, spicy finish.”