Idell Family Vineyards
- Idell Family Vineyards (IFV) is located on Carriger Road, approximately 2.5 miles West of the town of Sonoma. Approximately seven acres of beautiful vineyards are surrounded by Sonoma hills and other vineyards.
- There is no public tasting room
- Produces 400-500 cases annually, including a Chardonnay, Syrah, and a Grenache/Syrah/Mourvedre blend.
- Idell Family Vineyards is a family owned grape growing and wine production business. The award winning wines have been recognized as exceptional by Robert Parker’s Wine Advocate, James Suckling and others.
2017 Oscar Mixed Blacks
- Produced 122 cases
- Because this is a field blend, the %’s of grapes differ from year to year. However, planted are approximately 70% Zinfandel and the 30% balance a mixture of Petite Sirah, Carignane, Mourvedre and Grenache.
- This is a dry-farmed vineyard. There is no irrigation in the vineyard and it relies only on rainfall.
- 18 months in barrel, 40% new American oak, 60% neutral.
The Idell Family Vineyards “Oscar” Mixed Blacks – Red Wine is a wine of exceptional heritage. The vineyard is located on land which was part of the original Carriger Estate of Nicholas Carriger who came to Sonoma in 1846 (the same year as the Donner Party) and purchased his 1000 acre parcel from General Vallejo. Carriger reportedly was the first American to grow wine grapes commercially in Sonoma Valley. This wine is an homage to the old Sonoma Valley style of grape growing and winemaking: dry farmed and head-pruned, with five co-fermented varietals as in “old vine” vineyards with mixed varietals.
A very rich, complex, robust field blend with notes of blackberry, raspberry and chocolate.