Maroon Wines – 2013 Howell Mountain, Napa Valley Malbec
- The estate/vineyards are in the Coombsville AVA in Napa. The wine is produced at Monticello/Corley Family (Chris Corley is the winemaker)
- No public tasting room. Tastings by appointment only
- Produces 3,000 cases annually
- Paul Maroon bought the property 20 years ago and initially sold grapes to Joseph Phelps for their Insignia blend. After realizing the high quality of our estate fruit, he decided to produce his own label, and Maroon's first vintage was in 2008
2013 Howell Mountain, Napa Valley Malbec
- 800 cases produced
- 100% Malbec
- Aged 12-14 months in used French oak
Dark ruby in color with aromas of ripe, dark black and red fruits, with soft, sweet spice and cocoa, and hints of violet and rose on the nose. The palate continues with more raspberry, ripe plum, blackberry candy, dried flower, black currant, and a hint of white pepper. The finish is full long, with balanced tannins and acid, adding a crushed velvety feel. Pairs amazingly well with grilled lamb or beef, ribs - even Portobello mushrooms if you are a vegetarian.
Originally a common blending grape and one of the original five main Bordeaux wine varietals, Malbec is now known as the principal red grape of Argentina. It appeared as a grape variety in its own right in the Napa Valley in the 1990's. Malbec typically ripens midway through the growing season and produces small, intensely colored grapes.
This is the last of the Malbec Maroon will ever produce, so we consider it pretty special!