Petrified Forest Vineyards
- Based in Knights Valley, Sonoma, California
- Small family-owned winery that produces wines made from grapes grown in their own vineyards in Knights Valley, California.
- There is no public tasting room.
- Produce ~800 cases annually.
2014 Totem Ridge Cabernet Sauvignon
- 183 cases produced
- 100% Cabernet Sauvignon
- 18 months in French oak, 50% new
In the nose, you will find blackberry and black tea leaf, with a definite earthiness, and moderate hints of peppercorn. The palate is complex and layered—black cherry and ripe blackberry giving way to spices, black pepper, a hint of black licorice, and definite earthiness at the end. The finish is long, full, and dry, with plum hints as it shows its tannins.
This wine is drinking wonderfully now, alone or with food, but like its predecessors, you will be able to cellar this wine (if you have the patience) for at least five, if not ten years.