Valdez Family Winery
- Based in Cloverdale, California
- The founder, Ulises Valdez, was an immigrant from Mexico that began by working in the vineyards. He became a US citizen, worked hard, and started his vineyard management company at the age of 19. As he grew he wanted his own wine label and in 2004 Valdez Family Wines were created. They are family run and operated. Ulises Valdez is the grower and owner, Adelina is co-owner and manages both companies, Angelica is in charge of sales and marketing, Elizabeth is the winemaker, Ulises Jr assists with vineyard management, and Ricardo is the youngest at 19 and he works in the cellar and shipping department.
- Tasting room in Healdsburg
- Produce ~2,000 cases per year across Zinfandel, Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, Syrah and Petite Sirah
2011 Alexander Valley Zinfandel
- 600 cases produced
- 100% Zinfandel from Alexander Valley
- 100% French oak, 40% new. Aged for 18 months in barrel.
- This wine’s fruit is sourced from a 5-acre vineyard located behind the St. Peter’s Catholic church in Cloverdale, CA. A fourth of this 5-acre vineyard contains 90+ year-old zinfandel vines that produce some intensely concentrated flavors. The young and old vine fruit is blended together to create a blend of the two, and it’s fermented with native yeast.
The Zinfandel St. Peter’s Church Vineyard looks more like Petite Sirah than Zinfandel. Its dense ruby/purple color is followed by a wine with blockbuster-like richness and intensity, loads of incense, camphor and black fruits, full body and terrific purity. This gorgeous Zinfandel can be enjoyed over the next decade.